Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Smelly Cat

Like many individuals on the autism spectrum, Emily has a sensory processing disorder. She uses her sense of smell to relay things in the environment to her brain. It's how she knows if she likes something.

Now we don't have a cat. I personally don't even like cats. Several months ago while in a store I caught her, as I have many times before, smelling packages. Usually it's in the checkout aisle that she uses her sniffer. Like it's not noticeable enough that she is asking me repeatedly if she can have gum, she smells every package before she chooses one. It's odd I know but I let her do it. I mean really it comes down the fact that if I'm going to pay $1 for something that is not a necessity on my grocery list, I want to make sure she likes it and chews it. I suppose it was the picture on the package of cat food in Walgreens that caught her eye that day. Or it could have been that her super sniffer could smell the vile odor that cat food has from afar. I don't know. Either way right there in the middle of the aisle she stopped to smell. She didn't like the smell. I know because she said, "That stinks." I am ever so grateful that she didn't like the smell because there is no way in this world I would have bought smelly cat food for a smelly cat we don't have.

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever see the Friends episode where Phoebe made up a song about "Smelly Cat"? That is what popped in my mind when I saw the title of this blog entry! The photo of Emily smelling the cat food is priceless! Have a great autism awareness month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that episode!! I should have referenced it in this post! I was wondering if I was the only one who thought of it!

    ReplyDelete

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com