Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Sunday, April 14, 2013

I found God

Emily has a thing for Preachers. Specifically televangelists. Over the years we have been to church and vacation bible school some, but not nearly as much as I would like. When Emily was younger and her social anxiety related to stores was severe I taught her to pray during the times she felt most afraid. I couldn't be home bound with 3 kids so taking her places that I knew would result in massive panic attacks for her was difficult. Once during an extremely long wait in the check out line at Michaels when she was 4, she became anxious and asked me if she could pray. Right there in the line she dropped to her knees and prayed. It's just something I always encouraged although the stares weren't uncommon.

Joyce Meyer has been a long time favorite of hers. Luckily she used to come on television before school so it made our morning transition easier. She had a tv in her room and would turn it on as we were getting ready. One morning I was in the kitchen getting the other two kids ready and I heard her scream. It was the scream that said shit is about to hit the fan and there will be no turning back. I started calling up to her asking what was wrong only to get more screams. By the time I was heading up the stairs I heard her call out, "It's ok. I found God." She could not find the station and it upset her. She associates preachers with God and therefore they are called such. It gave me quite a giggle to hear her say that. Not long after that, scheduling changed and we were forced to watch episodes on the laptop before school. I can think of worse obsessions to have.

2 comments:

  1. That is so great! Jessica, you have flourished in situations that would have done others in. Emily is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have her! Glad she "found God." Hugs to all of you.

    ReplyDelete

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com