Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Saturday, April 20, 2013

R-E-S-P-I-T-E...find out what it means to me

Respite is what many special needs parents call a break. There are different ways that a parent can receive respite care for their child. Many churches hold respite nights once a month. Some parents have sitters or family members that watch their kids. And then there are parents like me who do not utilize any respite care.

There are many reasons I don't get breaks very often. First it is expensive if you have to pay someone to keep 3 kids. I'm tight with a dollar and have a hard time justifying a few hours of me time for that amount of money. Second
it takes a special person to watch a child with special needs. It has to be someone that not only you trust but someone your child trusts. Third it is often not worth the break to return to a
child who is thrown off of their routine because you needed a few hours to yourself. Those are my reasons for not taking breaks.

Today however I was fortunate enough to have my parents keep all three kids while I take a much needed break. The first thing I thought of was getting a hotel room with a cheap bottle of wine, a pack of cigarettes and a book. I don't smoke but the idea sounded cool. Emily had tons of questions about where she was going. Why I wasn't going with her and what I was going to do without her. I told her I was paying bills and doing work.
She bought it and here I sit relaxing and drinking wine. No cigarettes. Enjoying a much needed break.

4 comments:

  1. much needed....and certainly WELL DESERVED!! Glad your folks took kid duty for you! that was special.

    Hugs to you, Jessica. You are a very special lady indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your parents so much! I think they would be perfect for respite & know exactly what to do. I think you should do it more often. You need to take care of yourself because you're better able to take care of others when you take time for yourself. Otherwise you're going to burn out. You're a great mother & give it all you've got but now & then you need to breathe ~ aaahhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so true. I just have a really hard time letting others help me. Burnouts are no fun. Thanks for reading and encouraging me!

      Delete

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com