Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Hair drying...the next Olympic sport

Drying Emily's hair every night for the past 8 years has been somewhat of an Olympic sport. Due to sensory issues she does not like having her hair dried. It's the noise of the hair dryer as well as the feel of the brush. Just brushing her hair every morning gives me a workout as I usually complete no fewer than 2 laps around the living room chasing her with a brush. Hair drying is different. More intense. Longer time involved. Not to mention she has the thickest head of hair.

It starts at the sink with her looking at a book or her iPad while I start the process of drying her golden mane. Her fingers go in her ears several times
to block out the sound. After several minutes she becomes overstimulated and wants to leave the bathroom. It is at this point that the 8 years of training for this hair drying event kicks in. I am
swift in my movements as I back up in front of the door. My body is not wide enough to cover the entire opening so I shift my hip to one side and lean with my upper body to the other. All the while both hands are working simultaneously. One brushing and the other drying. Body in place and braced for what's about to happen as she turns from the sink and bolts for the door. I stand firm in that door willing myself to complete the event before my competition takes me down. I don't take away the gold medal every night but the blood(yes sometimes there is blood), sweat and tears that the Olympic event of hair drying takes prepares me for other such events in our daily routine.

5 comments:

  1. Abigail still hates getting hair brushed ! She is now used to the sound of hair dryer and will just sit for her hair....she winces and squinces up her face before I touch her....and thinking about getting it cut and trying to teach her to brush THROUGH it ....a job 'too big' for her 'and plus'(her latest fav phraise) if she does it 'I may never brush it again ever' !! Love my girl !

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are with you! Haley had to have hers cut short to at least lessed the difficulty of this event. She requires a hat anytime we are not in school for pressure so she has the worst knots all the time, which requires more brushing. She even sees a brush and the sprint is on! Then turns wrestling roman style. I need to invest in detangler. I have tried several brushes and combs....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not funny but I Know roman style wrestling. Haha! Here is a brush that a friend recommended after reading my post. It's called a wetbrush and you can get them at Ulta and salons. www.mywetbrush.com

      Delete
  3. Bless you. We take do much for granted!

    ReplyDelete

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com