Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Thursday, April 3, 2014

True colors-Red

These spectrum color days are more challenging than I thought. I chose red today because it's the color of the shirts that Shell Gas Station employees wear. 

I pick Emily up every day at 2:00. We have one hour in the car before we pick up Luke and Anna Grace. For those that know our story, cars are not Emily's favorite place to be. Her bribe/reward is a snack every day after school. Sometimes I can convince her to a drive thru treat but her favorite place to go is the Shell station on the corner of Cahaba Valley Road and State Park Road. It's connected to a KFC so she calls it KFC. Her snack every time we go is always the same. Coke icee and white puff corn. Has to be the big $2 bag. Not a small one. 

We've been going in there for over 2 years. After about 6 months of going 2-3 days a week and getting a small icee, one of the regular employees told me the largest was the same price. Anyone who knows me knows that made me happy. Soon after that a friendship was born. About a year after our trips started I began doing my social skills work with Emily. Since the Shell Station was a frequent stop I decided to turn it into a teaching time for her. We soon "met" Mr. Al, the employee who told us about the icee deal. I began encouraging Emily to say Hi and thank you. He began to greet us with excitement as soon as we walked in the door. He started asking Emily how her day was and telling her he hoped she did well the next day at school so she could come back for another icee. He not only took time to talk to her but he also made a point to introduce her to the other regular employees. We now know Miss Theresa, Miss Pattie and Mr Anton. They all speak to her and tell her to do good in school. These are people that I'm not sure I would have ever hung out with in my previous social circle but they have become great friends. We enjoy our visits and Emily just adores Mr. Al. 

The beauty of this is that I have never told any of them Emily has autism. They've never asked what's "wrong" with her.  They have accepted her and all of her quirks and random conversations and treat her with as much love and kindness as I could ever hope for. These are the people that make our days easier. 

Mr. Al recently changed to a different shift and Emily doesn't get to see him often. She always asks whoever is working, "Where's Mr. Al?" Today he was working and Emily was very excited so I took the opportunity to take a picture. I haven't done it yet but I'm going to contact Shell and tell them what a difference these employees have made in the life of a child with Autism. 

3 comments:

  1. Just <3 -Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this <3......LiSa

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome---so happy for Emily and for you---and the SHell employees as well---a win-win situation

    ReplyDelete

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com