Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

True Colors-Cream

Cream. Ice Cream. Whipped cream. Cream the rock band. Even creamed potatoes.  All favorites of Emily's. 

Emily has been having moments of what I call clearness for two days now. Yesterday she was walking around the house looking at objects on the walls and naming them as if she had never realized what they were. One in particular was a pair of cross candle holders. Outside she went around the backyard looking at the windows upstairs and realizing one was her brothers room. I can't describe what it's like when she does this. I've talked about it before. It's like I am getting a small window of time to see her mind clear. It's like she has some clarity in her thoughts and can process them appropriately. It's bittersweet because I know they never last longer than a minute or two and usually aren't frequent. However she has been on a roll for two days now. After dinner tonight of her favorite mashed potatoes, I caught her at the table with the empty box and a piece of paper. She was saying and enunciating "mashed potatoes" as she copied letters onto her paper. 
This is amazing for many reasons. One she doesn't like to write. We were dismissed from private occupational therapy a few years ago because her writing potential had reached a plateau. We haven't given up and her teachers make sure she gets ample writing time at school daily. But she doesn't have homework and it's rare outside of school or therapy she writes. It's not her thing and aside from signing her name I decided the battle to write "journals" was pointless for her future. But occasionally she will do something like this out of the blue and remind me that all of the years of therapy weren't for naught. While she just knew it said "mashed potatoes" and that's what she was writing, I'm still proud.  It's a functional item that she was attempting to learn to spell. In my opinion, it's the cream of the crop! 
I can't post the video here of her telling me she wrote "mashed potatoes" but creamy butter counts for something. 

Thanks for reading~
Jessica 



2 comments:

  1. it warms my heart to read this post and I am sure it warms yours even more. Good job, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, Emily! That's the start of making shopping list! :-)

    ReplyDelete

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com