Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

True Colors-Pink

                Emily in her pink room 

Pink...the color associated with baby girls. There's also Pretty in Pink, Pink
Floyd, Pink(the singer) and even Pink Panther(yes I'm that old). I've never liked the color pink much. I am not a
girly girl. I don't think I own anything pink except for a pair of running shoes. There may be some subconscious irony to that I need to dive into later. 

Emily loves pink. Everything is pink. It's like pepto bismol everywhere. She is my girly girl. My girl on the Autism Spectrum. The minority. The one that doesn't fit into the mold of boys with classic autism. I have less than 10 friends with girls on the spectrum. It's lonely and scary. I share quite a bit about Emily as I've said before to raise awareness and ask for acceptance. Not just for autism but for girls on the spectrum. They are a different breed I believe. They have unique challenges because of their genetic makeup. Hormones are coming into play for us and it's something I have been preparing for since Emily was 3 years old.  

Emily has a heart of gold and a nurturing quality about her despite the autism diagnosis. She is my forever kid. My special lamb as she's been called. She will never get the opportunity to be a mama in the traditional sense of the word. My heart hurts for her. She would make the best mama, mainly because she mimics behavior and will tell her siblings what they are supposed to be doing verbatim from what I say. I call her "little mama". I think she does a great job of keeping them in line. 

Tonight's last Autism Acceptance post is Pink. It's for the girls.  It's for the parents of the girls. It's for those who support me and give me the confidence and reassurance I need to keep going. Emily is only 11 years old. I have many more years of perpetual pinkness to go. I can't grow weary of pink, even though it's not my favorite color. Just like I can't get tired of dealing with autism. My path has been laid before me and it's not lined with gold or any other color. It's a pink pebble pathway that I get to walk alongside my girl who continuously shows me the beauty in all things. I don't like pink but I do believe in pink. 

"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles". Audrey Hepburn 

Thanks for reading~
Jessica 

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, you are an amazing writer and you pull emotions from me I didn't know were in me. I love your Emily and I love you for taking such great care of her and her siblings...this month has been special because of your blog and your soul touching honesty.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com