Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Thursday, April 24, 2014

True Colors-Indigo

I'm needing to fill a few more colors of the rainbow "spectrum" for Autism Acceptance Month so indigo is next.

"I'm trying to tell you something about my life. Maybe give me insight between black and white. The best thing you've ever done for me, Is to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life after all." -Indigo Girls..."Closer to Fine"

One of the great things Autism has afforded me is the ability to take life a little less seriously. I've always had a sense of humor with a bit of sarcasm attached. Not everyone gets it or likes it but laughter is the best medicine for me. 
Trying to take a selfie at lunch and I captured this surprised look. It may come as a surprise to many, but there are people we come across sometimes who don't particularly accept or acknowledge Emily. Rather than let it bother me I like to have some fun with it if I can. Particularly if someone is rude. So here is the tale of the Dollar General trip today...

We were checking out and Emily attempted independent conversation with the cashier. She has always asked people what their names are but here recently has obtained an obsession for name tags. So here is the conversation. 

Emily- "What is your name?"
Cashier-Ignores
Emily-"What is your name again?"
Cashier-(Stopping and looking up) "huh?"
Emily-(pointing to her name tag) "What is your name?"
Cashier-(being a smart a$$ and pointing to her own name tag) "What does is say?" 
Emily-(because she can't read and knows she needs to respond) "TJ"
Cashier-mouth open speechless
Me-You are right Emily. She does look like TJ the Sushi Sample Man at Winn Dixie. 
Cashier-still speechless

We paid and walked out without uttering another word. I thought Emily did an amazing job considering the woman's total lack of interest and rudeness in speaking with her. I often have to help facilitate the conversations and sometimes when dealing with individuals like this lady my sarcasm comes right out and I get a chuckle from it. It helps me from getting my feelings hurt and "the closer I am to fine".

Thanks for reading~
Jessica 



2 comments:

  1. Oh my rudeness ! Just don't let 'stuid people' change your friendliness Emily. Be the beautiful girl you are .....((?((((hugs)))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Glad you didn't explain more. That cashier will be wondering for days :)

    ReplyDelete

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com