Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

True Colors-Peach

                  Ain't that just peachy 

I wanted Autism Awareness Month to focus more on the acceptance of those on the spectrum, so I will share how it's also hard for me to accept some things. 

I've blogged about Emily's negative behavior during moments of sensory meltdowns and severe anxiety. Meltdowns are different from tantrums. Both are equally as intense for Emily and for a very long time it was difficult to determine which was the cause of her behavior. As with many kids a simple "No" will cause tantrums. Emily's tantrums of course are usually epic in proportion. This was the case with the broken glasses above when told she could not eat her bothers lunch, as well as her own. 

Just yesterday when I picked her up from school she was crying about getting in trouble for not being patient. I informed her that she would not be getting her coke icee after school. This did not sit well with her and she cried, pinched me and head butted my shoulder while I was talking to her teacher. When we reached the car, my purse was in the passengers seat. I didn't move it fast enough so she started throwing things. Still angry she wasn't getting an icee. She then took off running from the car. Thankfully she ran back towards the school. I got out and ran around after her, but made the mistake of grabbing her arm. This stopped her in her tracks, however, it also brought her to the ground. The mere touch of my hand on her arm made her throw herself on the ground in an even bigger fit than before. Now, I'm thankful this happened at school because they are used to this type of behavior. I'm thankful she ran back towards the building rather than the parking lot. However, I will never fully be able to accept tantrums. If you have never seen a half grown person rolling around on the ground screaming in a fit of anger, I hope you don't. This is the part of parenting a child with autism, that I don't like. I sternly told her to get up and get in the car and she complied. She also still did not get her icee. I do not reward negative behavior. 

So when I am left looking at a pair of broken glasses or my child, who is as big as I am, throwing herself on the ground in a fit, I just say to myself,... "Ain't that just peachy."

Thanks for reading~
Jessica 


1 comment:

  1. good for you not rewarding negative behavior....when there is a major fit going on it has to be hard to not yield to the bad behavior to achieve peace--but you are wise and know that "ain't gonna get the job done." great job, Jessica. Hope that was the only meltdown for today. {{{{{JeSSICA AND emily}}}}} cyber hugs

    ReplyDelete

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com