Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Thursday, September 29, 2011

You are the Music in Me

I am a music lover. I am not musically gifted like my oldest, Anna Grace(who can play music by ear) or like Emily who can carry a tune very well, despite the fact she has a speech delay. I do however "think" in music. Some people are visual thinkers, some are auditory(maybe I fall in this category) and some are tactile. I can think of a song to go with just about any situation, comment or thought. This week, I started having fun on facebook. When driving in my car, I heard a heavy metal rock song and turned in into a post on facebook. "Metal Monday" I had "Take it back Tuesday" and One-Hit Wonder Wednesday. Today is Theatrical Thursday(my fav). Music inspires me. It drives me. It makes me feel better.

I have always encouraged music with my kids. They have participated in Kindermusik, taken piano lessons, and done music therapy. Emily's school is a Shelby County school for disabled kids. I found out last year, that they did NOT have music for those kids. They have drums come in from another school occasionally to perform. When they have plays, because the majority of kids are non verbal, they have a middle school choir come in. I was quite upset that these kids were not giving the opportunity to experience music in a way that could benefit them in so many ways! You don't have to sing to enjoy music. Actually you don't even have to hear to enjoy music. I am happy to report that yesterday Emily came home and said she went to MUSIC! She was so very excited(as she loves music as much if not MORE than me) and was trying to repeat the song they had learned. Her heart was happy singing and doing the motions.

Today is Theatrical Thursday. I am including a clip from the very first Broadway play my kids were exposed to when they were around 3 yrs old. They saw this version of Peter Pan(on video) before they ever saw Disney's version. Believe it or not, they prefer Broadway.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OWAfvd7WY0

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com