Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Monday, September 26, 2011

Say, Say, Say

There is some sort of cold going around our house. Everyone has scratchy throats, coughs and sniffly sneezes. Luke lost his voice yesterday. He woke up this morning and whispered that he needed to speak sign language today. He brought home a list of signs from school last week and has been practicing. Anna Grace also signed up for a sign language class at school this year! I am amazed at their interest in communicating with others. We are blessed that Emily is verbal, however she has several friends who are non verbal. A little boy in her class is hearing impaired and uses signs. Emily has come home several times trying to repeat the signs she has seen him use at school. Anna Grace and Luke have always asked me questions about kids with disabilities and I have always been honest with them. I wanted first and foremost for them to have empathy for kids like Emily. All of my kids are talkers. They talk NON-STOP! Car rides consist of all 3 talking or babbling at the same time. I often feel guilty for needing to tune them out!  It warms my heart theat they have an interest in sign language without my encouraging or coaxing them to learn. They truly have it in their heart to communicate with others in a way that most of us don't know. It makes me extremely proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com