Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Thursday, August 4, 2011

If I Only Had a Heart:Part 1

"Giving from the heart has beneficial effects upon the mind, body and spirit including health, happiness, and prosperity...."

In sticking with my blog theme, my post today is about the heart...specifically the giving heart.

I like to think that I have a giving heart. People can't come to my house, without me trying to send them out the door with something.  Food, toys, clothes...whatever I have on hand that I think they may like, want, need, I give.  I never think much of it, I just do it. I am sure some of it gets thrown in the next goodwill box. I give our teachers little tokens of appreciation ALL year long. Not because I think it will make them like my kids better(ok maybe a little), but because I truly appreciate the work they do with them. It takes a giving heart to work with kids.

 A few months ago, a fire destroyed the home of a friend in Emily's class. Immediately touched, I set out to get as much gathered up for his family as possible. I posted a request on FB for any used clothing, and what came in was so much more than that. I had friends give giftcards, money, brand new clothing from as far away as TEXAS! I know I am not alone with my giving heart.

When the tornados came through our state in April, like everyone else, my first thought was WHAT can I do to help. So many lives lost and many who lost everything. I set to work gathering up my stockpile items and put to good use my couponing skills. I even attempted to get Boston Butts donated a month after the tornados to feed 8, STILL displaced, families at a local church. I ended up getting a few donated by sweet people and the rest I did myself. A full meal for 40 people. I gave me such a great feeling knowing I was helping a little.

Giving from the heart DOES have beneficial effects! Part 2 of this post will include giving,receiving  some opportunities that I am excited about! I will probably post later today as my kids are in need of receiving attention. Stay tuned...

Jessica





.


3 comments:

  1. Jessica, you do have a thoughtful heart. It means alot to me that that you care to ask a/b mom or Maybree. When Maybree was diagnosed, you were there to answer my questions b/c I was new to this and had no idea what to do! I really look foward to reading your future blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria! SOrry for the delay! I just figured out how to respond and it not show up as anonymous! LOL! You should start a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, what an inspiration you are to us all!!! Emily is truly blessed to have a mom like you!!! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com