Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

If happy little bluebirds fly...

I have finally decided to join the ranks of those who type their thoughts out and publish for the world to see. Well, maybe not the whole world, but those who care enough to listen to stories about my life raising three kids, one with special needs. I decided to start this blog for several reasons. 1)To raise awareness for children with special needs  2)As therapy for me in dealing with the daily struggles and 3)Because I got so tired of trying to tell a funny story on facebook and getting cut off because my status was too long. I love sharing stories about my kids and often try and find the funny in everyday not-so-funny situations. I am unable to share a story without including every detail of the incident. Facebook does not allow for these types of ramblings unless I edit as a note, and that is just no fun. So Blogging world here I am.

Just a little background information about the wonderful kids you will be hearing about:

Anna Grace is my oldest and is 11 years old. She was born at 26 weeks gestation due to severe preeclampsia. She weighed 1 lb 12 oz and stayed in the NICU for two months. She had fine motor delays as well as sensory processing issues. She outgrew all by the time she was 4. She is my miracle!

Luke is my youngest and is 4 years old. He was born at 34 weeks and weighed 6 lbs 3 oz and stayed in the NICU for 2 weeks. He had no lasting effects of his prematurity and is a healthy, full of life boy.

Emily is my middle child and is almost 9. She was my full term baby and weighed 7 lbs 6 oz. She has been diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, OCD, Tourette's and Sensory Processing Disorder. The running joke in our family is that she baked too long in my oven. Her road has been long and difficult. She definitely did not follow "The Yellow Brick Road".

I love my kids dearly and they are my life. I could not imagine any of them being any different from who they are. One of our favorite movies is "The Wizard of Oz" hence the name of the blog, Somewhere Over the Spectrum. I hope to show you that even though we face a lifetime of uncertainty that "skies are blue, And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true".

Thanks for reading,
Jessica

"If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com