Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Autism Acceptance Month

April is Autism Awareness month. I feel as though I spend so much time talking about Emily and how autism affects our life. I can't comprehend how anyone isn't "aware" that autism is growing at a startling rate and 1 in 68 are now affected. I believe when Emily was diagnosed almost 10 years ago the rate was 1 in 140. 

I don't know what causes autism. I don't get caught up in ways to "cure" Emily. I accept Emily for who she is and work around her needs. Acceptance starts at home. It's accepting every day will be a challenge and being prepared. It's accepting that public outings are so difficult and draining but necessary for the future of Emily and others like her. Acceptance is a friendly smile, an acknowledging hello or an engaging conversation from a stranger after my child wanders over and waves in their face and walks off in an attempt at being social. Acceptance also means letting others help when times are tough. Needing help, wanting help and being able to accept help is one of the more difficult challenges many autism parents face. We accept our children and their exceptionalities but find it almost impossible to accept help from others when we need it most. 

This month I will focus on Autism Acceptance. I have accepted the challenge of raising a special needs child and I want her to be accepted throughout her life. Kindness counts but acceptance is essential. 

Thanks for reading~
Jessica 

2 comments:

  1. Kindness counts but acceptance is essential. Truer words were never spoken. Hugs, my friend! We love Emily!

    ReplyDelete

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com