Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Monday, April 13, 2015

Autism acceptance at Publix

                Emily and Joey

I've been shopping at Publix for several years. The main reason is because I truly save more money there than anywhere else. But the thing that makes me want to continue to shop there is their support and encouragement of individuals with disabilities. The Publix at the corner or Valleydale Road and Caldwell Mill Road employees those with special needs. 

Over the years we have gotten to know one of the bag boys. His name is Joey, and Emily just adores him. He always greets Emily with a hug and calls her by name. If he doesn't see her first, she runs to him squealing his name. Joey is closer to my age but there are no barriers between them. He always has a friendly smile or wave to everyone. He loves to make conversations and I know that my trip to Publix is not complete if I don't get to see Joey. He just recently celebrated 10 years with Publix. An outstanding achievement for anyone in the workforce, but for someone like Joey to be given such an opportunity is amazing. The acceptance he gets from customers as well as his co workers is something I watch closely. As the mother of a child with autism, I hope that Emily will mature and grow enough to have those opportunities and will be accepted just as Joey has been. 

Because Publix has a working relationship with individuals with disabilities, it makes shopping there with Emily so much better. I'm able to work on social skills and independent thinking skills with her while we shop. It's been one year since she was able to independently go ask for her free cookie from the bakery. A task we worked on for over a year before that. She now feels so comfortable in the store I don't even go to the counter with her. She is completely independent and I know that the patience, kindness and acceptance from the employees at Publix has made all the difference in the world. 
             Emily asking for a cookie

Publix is another wonderful store that is accepting of individuals with special needs. Their motto is "Love to shop here. Love to save here" and we sure do! 


Thanks for reading~
Jessica 


1 comment:

  1. I think I remember when you posted that Emily had asked for a cookie by herself for the first time...did you write about that? What changes a year has brought. Love that BIG smile on her face standing there with Joey. Thanks for another great post, Jessica.

    ReplyDelete

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com