Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Mama and her man jobs

I am known as somewhat of a man hater. I'm not going to lie, there's a good bit that annoys me about men in general. But mostly I just like the reputation.

As a female, I find it offensive that jobs are defined as either male or female. I take it as a personal challenge whenever I'm told I can't do something because I'm a woman. Not to mention I am a penny pincher. If there is any way I can save a dollar by doing it myself you can bet I will. Just some of the jobs I've done myself instead of calling a repair"man" have included changing the spark plugs on my SUV, fixing broken toilet levers and valves multiple times( autism tends to be the cause of that in our house), replacing the lower coils in the oven, cutting grass, installing washers and dryers(because I refuse to pay a delivery fee. Yes I'm that cheap), along with many chores around the house that are typically male defined. Another important reason for me to take on these jobs is show other women it can be done.

My latest man job was taking down the swing set that a generous neighbor gave to us many years ago. My kids have gotten many hours of enjoyment from it. However, the wood was rotting, the ladder and slide had broken off, it was home to nests of bumble bees and roaches and it was much to unsafe for me to allow my big kids to swing. Emily has sensory needs and swinging is one of them. Having her get injured by swinging too high was not something I could chance so I began a two day job of taking it down with a hammer and my hands.

Thanks for reading~
Jessica

2 comments:

  1. and after you had that stack of lumber (congrats on that BTW) what happened to it? What will Emily swing on now? Jessica, you are amazing!! An inspiration to women everywhere!! Truly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs M! I plan on recycling the slide and as much of the wood as possible. It will take me a few trips and maybe some help from Hank with his truck for the larger pieces. The big part is done. It's just easier to have it down than try to explain to Emily why it's not safe.

      Delete

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com