Pages

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me"

Friday, October 21, 2011

Why I don't "work"...

I am the oldest of 4 children. I have been looking after children for as long as I can remember. My mother had an in home daycare for kids(about 4 kids on top of her own 4)when I was in elementary school. In junior high school she became the director of a daycare at the small private school I attended. I babysat on weekends from the time I was 13 and worked in the daycare after school when I turned 15. I love kids!

I worked my way through college at a bank and at a medical billing office. When I got pregnant at the age of 25 I had no doubts I would go right back to work and my child would go to daycare with my mother. I could not have felt more comfortable! When Anna Grace was born at 26 weeks weighing 1 pound 12 ounces, it still did not register in my mind that I would not go back to work. We were told she would be in the hospital for months and that when she came home she would need to be isolated from other children to prevent life threatening illnesses. A common cold could have killed her. Knowing they would not let me live at the hospital, I went back to work part time 2 weeks after I had her. Still reeling from the jolt of having a baby so early and dealing with blood pressure issues as well. I lasted about a month. She spent 2 months in the hospital and we brought her home weighing 4 pounds 4 ounces. I was elated to finally have her home and the thought of leaving her to go back to work never crossed my mind. As a matter of fact I stressed over the idea that I may have to eventually go back for financial reasons. Through faith and help along the way, I have been at home ever since.

I have struggled with the importance of contributing to my family financially over the years. The subject has been brought up many times and has often caused many arguments. I could not have left Anna Grace at daycare, and by the time Emily came along there was no point in me returning to work just to pay for childcare. There were tremendous sacrifices made by Scott in giving up a career he loved to support his family. I am forever grateful to him for allowing me the opportunity to be a mommy full-time! A job layoff nearly did us in, but we survived.

I have recently become involved in selling Scentsy to provide Buddies for Autistic kids. I use my commission to turn around and send out Scentsy buddies that help calm kids on the spectrum. I know that we could use the income, but I feel so passionate about giving back. I was also asked to be on the board of a non profit organization called Very Special People,Inc(a part of A4cwsn many of you hear me talking about). As with any non profit, it is about giving back. So while I don't technically "work", my time will be spent raising awareness for things that I am passionate about and there is not a salary that could compare to the feeling of pride that comes with that!

6 comments:

  1. Jessica, Thank you for sharing your story. It is quite inspiring. By putting God first in your life then paying it forward, your children will know what life is truly all about. They will know this from the example you have shown them and by the life you have lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, I second what Betty said above. I appreciate all the sacrifices and everything you do for me and the kids. I am EXTREMELY proud of you!!! I Love You, Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, There is no more important "work" than being a mommy, anyway! I'm sorry that so much or our society has lost an understanding of that. There have been times I've worked and times I haven't. There are different seasons in every person's life and you have to know which one you're in at the time. It sounds like you and your husband know right where you should be right now. I'm glad to have gotten to "know" you a little through A4! Best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a good stay-at-home parent IS work. Hard work. I wish everyone else would recognize that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You, dear Jessica, are a champion among moms...thank goodness you found your passions and can "work" at those. Some people never find theirs. You are the MOM for sure...good job! (of course you have a great role model in Harriet)!
    Hugs to you....(and Scott!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a load of crap.... don't work... bah....

    You're a mum of 4 beautiful children... you're bringing 4 wonderful people in to the harsh world & teaching them how to thrive, not just survive.

    You're doing more work for society as a whole that you're undervaluing yourself for.

    You, my dear woman, are a a SUPER MUM. Never forget the fact that we see your work & give you the respect you deserve for being such a great Mum as well as a champion for those with special needs.

    Your random friend from Australia (who found your blog almost by accident).

    ReplyDelete

http://somewhereoverthespectrum-jessica.blogspot.com